Sunday, February 8, 2009

Cooking again

It seems that everytime I get the kitchen cleaned up, it's time to start again. I like when I have extra kids over, they become my guinea pigs (watch out, Jen). My kids will eat almost anything, but my girlfriends boys do not. She had complained that her boys would eat nothing except instant oatmeal. So I tried a new recipe out on them. Success! Everyone had seconds, and I think they would have eaten more if I had had more available. Nice change from oatmeal, which I don't mind eating, but do get tired of.

Baked Oatmeal Squares (compliments of All recipes)

1 egg, lightly beaten
1 1/2 cups quick-cooking oats
1/2 cup sugar (I used brown sugar instead)
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup chopped nuts
1/4 cup raisins
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

DIRECTIONS
Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Pour into a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Bake at 350 degrees F for 25 minutes. Cut into squares.
I let them set for a few minutes and they were still a little crumbly, but overall were great. I would perhaps say they gobbled it up because I hadn't fed them, but typical boys they have eaten non-stop.
I'm off now to clean the kitchen. I would like to mop the floor as it sticks to one's feet, but I might as well wait until they all leave (tonight).

No comments: