Friday, May 1, 2009

Warehouse shopping

So, what's the big deal with this anyway? Is there a benefit to shopping in large quantities? Of course, other than the American obsession with bigger is better. I decided to find out myself. Bj's is offering a 60 day free pass (thanks, mom). So, I printed it and headed out. BTW, if one does decide they want it, they were running a special on 14 mo instead of 12 mo, plus $10 gc for $45 yr. Anyway, the way I figure it, if I went once a month for 12 months, I would have to save 3.75 JUST to break even. So, my first trip I bought 4 loaves of bread, 2 gallons of milk, 4 pack of lasagna noodles, large container of salsa, butter, and something else (I forget!) for a total of $58.00. Since I only had $200 for 1 1/2 wks of groceries, it seemed like a little for a lot. I purchased these items since I knew they were cheaper than if I bought at the grocery store. As a rule, we don't buy too much junk/snack food. So I didn't even go thru many of the aisles after glancing down. I didn't buy any meat (forgot about cheeses) as Publix had the meats I wanted (chicken breast and pork) for less than Bj's. Since my receipt was messed up when printed, I couldn't do a price comparison other than what I vaugley remember in prices. However, the savigns were not much. Not to mention, since I couldn't get all my shopping done there, it really made the day long as I still had to get the remainder of my list. So, at the end of the day, I didn't go back for the paid membership. I guess I still don't get it. I will give it another shot since my trial membership is not up until June....anyone got any pointers?

1 comment:

Carel Stiller said...

So...I guess the "free membership" shoulda tipped us off, huh? Nothing is ever free!!!!