Thursday, April 30, 2009

Black Bean Soup

I like black beans. So, when I make a pot of beans (usually once or twice a month) I make a LARGE batch. But, of course, everyone gets tired of eating the same thing every night. So, how many different ways can one use black beans? Here's what I do with 2 lbs of beans..
1-black bean soup (add corn & shredded chicken if I have it) w/fried tortilla strips
2. black beans and rice
3. burrito pie
4. black bean and corn quesadillas
5. black beans and chicken tortillas

Usually I end up freezing most for later meals so over a 2 week meal plan they aren't eaten everyday.
Here's my soup recipe:
  • 1 pound dry black beans, soaked overnight (drain out water before adding to pot)
  • 1 can Rotel or equivalent
  • 6 cups chicken broth
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 tablespoon chili powder
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 3/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
  • throw it all in a crock pot and let it be! 6-8 hrs later-beans are ready to go-
Less the spices which are usually in the cupboard anyway, 2 lbs of beans run about 6.50 a pot. A great addition to my meals, and easy on the budget:)

No comments: