Saturday, January 10, 2009

Squash Muffins

OK, with the money we spend on groceries (and most of our children are little), I am really trying hard not to throw anything away. Unfortunately I usually don't remember to eat the leftovers in the fridge. So, I try to recycle my food-wait---it's not as bad as you think!
Tonight we had butternut squash. Not my favorite, mind you, but I know it's healthier than that pizza I really wanted to order:) My family doesn't quite finish one large squash, usually I have about a 1/4 of the squash left over. Publix's winter magazine had several recipes for squash. So I tried one of their recipes and made Squash muffins. They really aren't too bad--- although I probably will add a little more brown sugar and spices next time. Breakfast is served!!!
Try it for yourself:

2 c. all purpose flour
1/3 c. sugar
(I added 1/4 c. brown sugar as well, next time I will add about 1/3 c. brown)
2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. ginger (more next time)
1/2 t. ground cinnamon (more next time)
1 egg, beaten
3/4 c. soymilk (I don't keep soymilk, so I used reg milk)
1 c. mashed cooked squash (butternut or acorn)
1/4. c canola oil
1/2 c. cranberries (I love cranberries, will probably add more next time)

Lightly coat muffin pans or use liners.
Mix flour, baking powder, sugar, salt and spices.
In separate bowl, mix remaining ingredients except for cranberries. Add wet mixture & cranberries to flour mixture; stir just until moistened.
Bake @400 degrees about 15 min or until golden brown.

No comments: