Thursday, September 3, 2009

Packing up

Well, we are heading out to WVA soon for the reunion. And so the packing begins. Instead of driving, this time we are flying much to the delight of the younger kids, who are looking forward to riding in an airplane. However, of course, there is the small issue of luggage. The airline we are taking charges for baggage, so we are trying not to pack too much. We usually carry way more than we need since we have the entire (and usually Papa's great big) van to fill up.
So I start making my lists and I let the kids know that they can bring a couple of toys to play with on the van.
About 1/2 hr later, here comes Shelby with 1 pull suitcase, one pet suitcase (holds 2 stuffed animals), a purse and another bag. When I inform her that she cannot take all that luggage on board, she looks at me and bursts into tears. She then informs me that she needs all these toys and doesn't want to leave without them. I tell her that the airplane won't let us take that much stuff onboard and to please take them back upstairs and we will pack together. Well, she heads back up the stairs....and cries and cries. I'm sitting at the bottom trying to decide what to do. Do I go up and say, stop crying I'm packing the bags- I'll pack your stuff? Or do I try to "talk" thru it? Well, talking won. Great. So, I head up the stairs and into her room where she is sprawled out on the bed with her beloved toys all around her. I explain that the airplane has rules and they won't let us take all this stuff. I pointed out that if everybody brought all their stuff from their rooms, they wouldn't have room for us. That got a tiny giggle. We then looked over all the toys and we talked about each one of them. It didn't help that one of her birthday gifts were two stuffed animals, which she didn't want to leave behind! But, after about 15 minutes, I got a happy face, we compromised on what to take (as much as she could fit into a 8x10" bag, and she was happy. Crisis diverted. Yup, I know this was a small one, and they are going to get much worse. I'm not in denial....However, I was happy to have this one finish with a happy ending. Thank goodness there is only one Shelby!
By the way, two days after her birthday, she started saying...I can't believe I'm almost 7!!!! (WHAT?!?)

1 comment:

Twincerely,Olga said...

I am new to blogging and love your site!! i jut wanted to invite you over!